Caring for Lives the Community
Avon Comprehensive Breast Care Center
In 2008-2009, funds from the Avon Foundation will support the SFGH Avon Comprehensive Breast Care Center 's mobile mammography van, a high-risk genetic clinic, community outreach and breast cancer research programs.
Specific goals include:
- Hire a Spanish-speaking patient navigator for the Avon Breast Care Center.
- Hold 12 in-service education programs for navigators from SFGH and the Bay Area.
- Convene the SF Women's Cancer Network (formerly the Community Advisory Council) to develop new resources for community advocacy.
- Provide risk counseling to 150 women.
- Purchase and install new Mammography equipment in the mobile van.
- Support staff to increase mammography screening by 5%, to more than 10,000 women and provide 100 surgical biopsies.
Note: Avon funds since 2003 have resulted in triple the volume of services from 3,000 to more than 9,000.